Saturday, February 9, 2013

The grass is not always greener

I've never subscribed to skinny bashing. Actually, I lie. As a teenager even though I was thin, anyone thinner was "illegal". You know, like "OMG, look at her. That should be illegal" (in that teenagery Kylie Mole voice we all used to have). As an adult I look at thinner women usually with my inner voice saying nothing but "WOW, look how good she looks" and the occasional stab of envy.

I have a sister in law that's very thin. I've seen her struggle with putting on weight for years. She has had people actually have the audacity to ask her if she's anorexic. People ask her if she eats. In the past I've put up with fat jibes, but never outright ignorance like that - at least not to my face.

So in my usual fashion I was trawling the interwebs, following one link to another, I came across this interesting article written by Kate Young over at The Shake that really goes to show that the grass is not always greener and that really, some people are just arseholes.

Here's a little excerpt here:
Fat Bitch, Skinny Bitch
'No one would want to stand next to Kate in her bikini would they?’ she said with a smirk on her face and a snark in her voice. I felt like I wanted the floor to open up and swallow me, I was so embarrassed.' 
Read on to the rest of the article here.


No comments:

Post a Comment