Thursday, July 17, 2008

If I was a horse, they would have shot me

Ahh the words of wisdom from a great friend ring so true.

Why is it that I can't even have a medical issue like a normal person? Everything seems to be blown into some kind of drama.

After my last post about having this great new super hearing, it's all gone pear shaped. My right ear (my so-called bad ear) got infected and was bleeding (hmm lovely yeah). After a trip to the GP and a phone call to the hospital I was booked in for an "emergency consultation". I was having a bit of a laugh that they call it an "emergency consultation" since I had to wait over a week for it. In the meantime I had antibiotics to take and I had to see my GP on Monday if it got worse.

Well by Sunday night that whole side of my face was hurting, so back to the GP again. This time I was put on antibiotic eardrops. Interesting fact though - instructions say not for perforated ear drums but I was told to ignore that.

So I had my "emergency consultation" today. It was the head surgeon that I saw. In a nutshell he told me I'm a freak. When they cut my ear drums there was no fluid at all in there, which he admits is really strange considering all my test results done prior to surgery. They put the tubes in anyway based on those previous results. My right ear has some pretty bad scarring from previous surgery (I had grommets as a child - twice I think) and he thinks that may be what is affecting my hearing.

So after all that, I have to go back again next week when the infection is fully cleared for more hearing tests. He just said he'll have to play it by ear (and gave a nice little chuckle at his own humour) after my next appointment.

Bring on next week so I can just get this all over and done with.

No comments:

Post a Comment